Is perming your hair sin. If so please give me bible quotes where it says it is.?

First I have read somewhere that it’s not wrong to try and look good on the outside but that God says he mostly matters in what’s in the inside. That God wants you to be gorgeous on the inside meaning being good and to have faith in him. But then again someone told me “Exodus 9:14 says “Thou shalt not alter your appearance” can someone confirm if it is sin or not. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Exodus 9:14 does NOT say "Thou shalt not alter your appearance". Please look it up in your own Bible or in any online Bible and see for yourself.

We must always go to the source, the Bible in order to find out what is right or wrong according to God's standards, not according to any humans. Actually the Bible warns us that we should not listen to humans making up their own rules about right and wrong. It says about such people:

"They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules" - Matthew 15:9 (New International Version)

The Bible promotes a balanced view of the importance of appearance. It encourages us to pursue a modest and discreet appearance. It says we should focus on our inner person, and not be overly concerned about superficial things like elaborate hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or clothing:

"I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness". - 1 Timothy 2:9-10

"Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God" - 1 Peter 3:2-4

As Christians, we should "do all things for God’s glory". So we need to arrange our appearance according to his standards. However, the Bible does not contain any detailed rules and regulations on how we are allowed to dress or how to look. Such things do not matter much to God. "God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” - 1 Samuel 16:7

• 5 months ago

Dear, it's not a sin. NOBODY CAN GIVE YOU THE BIBLE QUOTES ABOUT THIS, BECAUSE THE BIBLE DO NOT FORBID TO ADORN OURSELVES MODESTLY . Someone has written to you about the greek word 'komao'... It is absent in greek text, in 1Corinthians 11:6

"γὰρ  οὐ  κατακαλύπτεται  γυνή, , καὶ κειράσθω· ;" (greek text). (1Corinthians 11:6, Kingdom Interlinear)

"If for not is being veiled down woman, also let her be shorn "(English literally translation).(1Corinthians 11:6). So, how you cut or curl your hair, it's your conscience... Certainly, you must not be like a man.....or like a woman who seeks men to spend the night....

The churches that forbid women to adorn themselves,  set their own rules, as Jesus said:

"It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines." (Matthew 15:9, NWT).

MORE information about it you can find in the website jw.org

• 5 months ago

1 Cor. 11 is about the hair "covering".  What the man must do is what the woman must not do regarding cutting the hair.  The Greek word "Komao" refers to "flowing" hair.

• 5 months ago

I Timothy 2 says:

9   In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10   But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

I think it's just saying that you shouldn't put too much attention on your appearance.

Having said that though, I do think it is right to look nice when you attend church.   Dress in a beautiful way that honors God.   If having a perm makes your hair look nice (and not like a street walker) then get a perm.   Honor God in your appearance.   Don't do anything that would make people look down on Christians.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Not a sin at all.  You have the wrong verse, by the way.  But again, not a sin at all.  Stop trying to turn everything into a sin.  And all sins past and future are forgiven by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Here is the truth: The Lord Jesus Christ is God. Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, or not. The truth is that the Lord Jesus Christ loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell.

Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ means being forgiven all sins past and future and means going to heaven. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that the Lord Jesus Christ is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus was buried, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing on Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven

• 5 months ago

Not necessarily.  Here's the key passage (often misused).

1Pet 3:3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

This passage is NOT saying a woman can't look nice with nice hair, nice jewelry and nice clothes, it's just that you don't want to overdo it where when people think of you, they just think of your outward adornment because it overshadows your inner beauty.

When people see you, your inner beauty should be so impressive, that anything extra on the outside only enhances that beauty, NOT overpowers it.

As far as OT passages.  That all was superseded by the new covenant (Heb 8:7,13), and is no longer a source of commands--unless the command it repeated in the NT (e.g. Honor your father and mother; Eph 6:2).

• Pyrus
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Uh... wrong verse. Exodus 9:13 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Get up early in the morning, confront Pharaoh and say to him, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me, 14 or this time I will send the full force of my plagues against you and against your officials and your people, so you may know that there is no one like me in all the earth.

I believe you are referring to 1 Peters 3:2-4 "as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior. Your adornment must not be merely external—braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God."

But, notice the verse more closely. It says that it must not be merely external. In other words, you are free to adorn yourself, but that's not what matters to God. What matters is what lies in the heart. It is NOT a sin to perm your hair or "alter your appearance" (wherever you got that verse). 

Here is a verse that backs it up:

1 Samuel 16:7

Verse Concepts

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.