Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Flea bites during pregnancy?

I’m currently 14 weeks pregnant and cat with fleas, i have fried front line, a flea powder and spray but he’s still covered in them. Both my feet and legs are covered in flea bites! It’s gotten really bad that i’m now waking up to a new bite every day, today i have 3 bites on my stomach and a new one on my foot. I’m panicking because I have read online that could cause birth defects. I’ve tried making a doctors app today but theyre fully booked so i’ll have to wait till tomorrow but i can’t stop panicking! Is it rare for fleas to cause any birth defects or is it common? 

I don't know of any birth defects caused by fleas.

I can offer some suggestions for getting rid of the fleas.  First of all - understand that you are NOT going to be flea free in just one treatment with anything you use.  You MUST keep doing treatments over the course of about three months  to banish the infestation.

The first step is to kill as many adult fleas as possible.  First, give the cat a bath with a good flea killing shampoo.  When shampooing the cat - use just enough water to work the shampoo into a lather.  (do not put the cat into the water - use water on your hands and shampoo and create a lather.)  Start at the neck and make sure the shampoo is lathered into the cat's fur very well around the neck.  When an animal gets wet, the fleas run for the head.  Cut off the flea's route to the head of the cat.  Continue using just enough water to work the shampoo into a lather and coat the whole cat with the shampoo.  Wait at least ten minutes and then rinse the cat completely.  The longer you leave the shampoo on, the more fleas it will kill.

Use a lice comb to get as many fleas out of the fur as possible.  Some fleas are often just stunned and not completely dead, so be sure to dispose of the fleas in a way that they won't revive and return to the cat.  (I usually put them on toilet paper and flush them after combing them out of the fur.)

Use frontline on the cat after the cat is dry.  (this is a monthly treatment and MUST be repeated ON TIME every month no matter how many fleas you see or don't see)  When it is time to do another frontline treatment - examine the cat for evidence of live fleas.  If you are still seeing large numbers of live fleas, then repeat the bath process again before applying the next round of frontline.

Next, use Raid flea killer plus on your carpets and any furniture that is cloth.  Keep the cat out of those rooms while you treat the carpets.  It is safe to let the cat in again after about 30 minutes.    The spray will kill adult fleas and their eggs for up to four months - but when you have a bad infestation, you can repeat the treatment once per month until you stop seeing fleas.  You can find a pet safe flea spray for the cat's bed.  DO NOT use Raid on any surface that your cat would use as their main sleeping space.  (personally, I always had someone else spraying down the carpets while I was cleaning the cat.  This meant that fleas in the carpets couldn't try to get onto the cat to escape the Raid.)

https://www.raid.com/en-us/products/raid-flea-kill...

Never use any flea products intended for dogs on a cat.  Use only cat safe products.  The chemical concentration is different in the treatments intended for dogs and it can kill a cat.  

If your cat goes outdoors, then you are going to need to continue the frontline and very likely the treatments with Raid to keep the fleas in control.   A cat that goes outside will bring in new fleas on a regular basis.  Continued treatments is the only way to stay flea free with an indoor/outdoor cat.   If your cat is completely indoors, then you may eventually be completely flea free - but it is going to take at least two to three months.  If your cat is also completely indoors, you also need to consider what the source of the fleas might have been and try to reduce that source.

Good luck.

• Edna

Don't believe what you read online. I have NEVER  heard that flea bites can cause birth defects. When a flea bites you, the flea is feeding on YOUR blood; the flea isn't injecting anything INTO you. 

Your cat isn't bringing fleas into your house. Your cat is being bitten by fleas in the house, the same as you are. In the summertime, you can bring fleas into the house on your shoes or on the cuffs of your trousers. Fleas live in the grass and in the sand outside. Ever heard of sand fleas? Why do your think they're called "sand" fleas?One adult flea will lay 100's of eggs inside your house. In 3 or 4 days, those 100's of eggs will all hatch out, and the new crop of fleas will begin feeding and laying their own eggs. In order to get rid of fleas in your house, you're going to have to kill the eggs. Front Line, flea powders, and flea sprays won't do it - they'll kill the adult fleas, but they won't kill the eggs. You're probably going to have to hire a professional exterminator to do that; otherwise, you're going to have to thoroughly vacuum all the "soft" surfaces in your house every 3 or 4 days for about a months, in order to be sure that you've gotten rid of all the eggs. You're still probably going to be fighting fleas all during the summer.   

• LizB

Fleas can spread disease, but most of them are really uncommon nowadays (like typhus and bubonic plague), and they tend to come from exposure to diseased rodents. I'm going to presume your home isn't also rat-infested.

Getting a flea infection out of your house can be an unpleasant business, though. You're probably going to need to give your cat a flea dip (or see if your vet will do it), but if you suspect that fleas are in your carpets or furniture then you'll need to take more serious measures. Flea bombs/foggers *can* work, though if the fleas have made nests in your cushions or other cozy crevices then the flea bomb might not cut it. Safest bet is to call an exterminator who can come do an assessment and offer solutions.

• helene

Never heard of fleas causing birth defects.

The problem is no longer just the cat. Your house is now infested too.I hope you have a good vaccuum cleaner, because you'll be using it a lot for the next month, to catch eggs and larvae. There are other non-toxic flea mitigation strategies out there, but the daily vaccuuming is important.Also, flea populations can become immune to different flea medications. Frontline doesn't work on my cats at all. You'll have to find one with a different active ingredient. I don't want the poor cat overdosed, so maybe you should consult your vet. They have pills now for dogs, maybe there is one for cats.

• Petter

Don't believe everything you read. Fleas doesn't cause birth defects.