My monitor is blurry, should I press the degauss button?

• keerok

It's an ancient CRT monitor. Newer LCD do not need degauss. 

Since it's that old, I suspect the tube is failing. Those things don't last. The first (and last) sign is usually blurring even if the electronics is perfect. Some technicians can "revive" them but it doesn't stay long. It really is time to buy a new LCD monitor already. Don't worry, the computer will accept it. If you are in doubt, get an equally old used "square" LCD to preserve monitor resolution. You can find them at garage sales, flea markets and surplus shops.

Pressing the degauss button is not going to hurt anything.  All it does is attempt to discharge an static electricity that has build up in the system.  (It must be an ancient monitor as they have not had Degauss button since the old CRT picture tube monitors.  As such, I suspect that the blurriness is probably due to age and not to it needing to be Degauss.  Consider getting a monitor from this century.

Push it all you want it hurts nothing.

If your monitor is blurry it could be your video card. 

Try a different monitor and if that is blurry it is your computer/video card and if it is sharp your monitor is out of adjustment in some fashion.  Make sure your monitor is set to the correct recommended resolution for that monitor. 

• Lv 7

you can try. but that's not exactly what it's for.