Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Should cyclists that ride on the pavement, jump red light or not stop for zebra crossings have their two-wheeled death traps crushed?

My father, who is 72, was hit by a cyclist going full pelt on a crossing and ended up with a broken elbow. Even though my father had right of way the cyclist swore at him and got back on his bike and rode away. Because there is no way of identifying him there is nothing we can do about reporting him. Something needs to be done.

• 7 days ago

Here in the USA, according to each State's DMV, Bicycles are classified as Vehicles and are required to follow the Rules of the Road as Cars-Trucks-Buses.

• Jon

Since most of the louts you are referring to ride cheap rubbishy bikes that a serious cyclist would not want as a gift, seizing their bikes would not much of a punishment. More law enforcement so more of them get fined along with the many motoring offenders who currently go unpunished would be a very good idea.

whats a zebra crossing?

yes rude cyclists try rude car drivers lot more of those.

I feel sorry for your father and rude cyclists need chastisents not refreshments, howevr if a car had jit him hed have lot more than hurt elbow you said?

• F

They sometimes do , often with rider still attached , by lorries and buses.

Only for constant repeat offenders. Fines, yes.

• D50

I don't think you mean "death traps" as that would provide the punishment you think the arrogant cyclist deserves. The term you want is "deadly weapon".

Yes. Cyclists are arrogant and think the law does not apply to them. 

My brother (OldHippie) has been getting around town via a bicycle now for at least 12 years without a car & without any accidents or incidents.  Before that, 20 years driving tractor-trailers with the same clean record.  Not so much as a speeding ticket.  I believe he knows what he's talking about.  On the other hand, I believe you're blowing smoke.

I ride too, just not full time as he does.  I've offered him the use of my car from time-to-time.  He always refuses.  People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  I never see cyclists attempting to ride & talk or text on a cell phone at the same time.  I see motorists do it all the time.  Turn the damn thing off & drive.  Pay attention.    

Should motorists that run red lights & blast through stop signs be subjected to the same crusher?  Go stand at the corner of Lafayette & S. Jefferson sometime in St. Louis.  Google map link - https://goo.gl/maps/ev82yzYJXcBVUW3R8  I patiently wait for the light on Lafayette to turn green.  When it does, I often see 2 or even 3 cars running the red light on S. Jefferson.  In other words...if I go immediately when my light turns green, I'D BE DEAD!  When two cars collide, most times people walk away unscathed.  When a car strikes a cyclist, most times that cyclist ends up in the hospital or the MORGUE!  

All it takes is one bad cyclist to give us all a bad rap.  The same can be said for BAD MOTORISTS!  Furthermore...studies have proved that cyclists obey the law better than motorists.  And when we do get behind the wheel of a car, we're also better drivers.  https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2018/10/0...   Think about that.