Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Fighting in Speculative Fiction, Do I always need it?

just asking for the general preference for a consumer of fiction

Can there be other types of challanges other then phyisical fighting and fantasy battles? (like a chase scene? or a weak puzzle based villian hid a bomb and the hero has to solve their riddles to find it)

And/or can I have quiet moments in a mostly actiony spec fic story?

as long as its entertaining and challanges the hero and/or makes us learn more about our hero, can I do something like that?

its not that I want to make a non violent story I just want to expand to other challenges that don't always require fighting and have quiet moments for character insight

Please go away and read twenty books of "speculative fiction" before you bring us any more questions. Anyone who has read even half a dozen books of a particular genre should already KNOW what variations are possible and generally acceptable.

Please. Go away, and READ.

• Zac Z

Readers of speculative fiction aren't a homogeneous group.

There are those who love fights and look forward to a climactic battle at the end of the story, while others have very different expectations.

I think you are unaware of the diversity of speculative fiction. There are many books that do not rely on fights. Read "A Fine and Private Place" by Peter S. Beagle; it's an exquisite novel to begin with but it will also serve you as a good example of a great piece of speculative fiction that doesn't need fights.

And of course, you can have quiet moments in an action oriented book, too. In fact, I can't imagine a book consisting of non-stop action scenes to be any good. I like to spice up my reading with thrillers but I want them to tell me an engaging story - just stringing action scenes together won't do this.

If it doesn't progress the storyline forward why would you put it in?

There is a lot of speculative fiction out there without physical fighting and fantasy battles. While 'Life of Pi' did have some physical altercations, they were a very minor part of the whole novel and there certainly weren't any epic battles. And while Star Trek is a TV series and not novels, just take a look at all the episodes that don't involve any physical fighting or battles.

And yes, I would encourage you to have quiet moments in a spec fic story, and while you're at it, study plot structure, scenes and sequels (google this if you don't know what I'm talking about).

I would suggest that you read more, if you read more then you'll see that there are many stories like this and that not all speculative fiction is 'Supernatural' on speed.

I think the general preference for any fiction is a writer who knows how to use language correctly and had read widely enough to know the answer to your questions. 

So tired of answering questions from wanna bees that I can barely read asking questions that if they only bothered to pick up books and read they'd know the answer. 

I hear you: "I do read!" rattle goes flying...

Nope you obviously don't. Or you read the same thing over and over. Listen, if that's what you like to read/write then who cares what others do. And to be honest, I don't think there are any hard and fast rules in fiction, just about every rule can and has been broken if done well.

• Andrew

Are you asking if you might be brought up on charges for it? If so, then the answer is no. It's incredible how there are so many wannabe amateur authors out there that have managed to remain so staggeringly ignorant. How many books have you actually read? Try getting into double digits before attempting to author your own. 

• Cogito

Before you try to write any kind of story, work on improving your English.  Your spelling and sentence structure are very poor.

Maybe also read a lot of good fiction.  That would make you realise that there are all sorts of plots and styles.

• Lomax

All stories need some sort of conflict.

That conflict doesn't necessarily need to be physical.

• Expat

Of course! You don’t need war or fights to drive a story, but there must be conflict of some sort. It can be an internal struggle within a character, but it’s got to be clear, compelling and adequate to drive the story forward enough to hold the reader.