Atheists where do you get your morals?

59 Answers

Relevance
  • Phil M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

From within. I can't understand how people can feel indifference toward hurting others. It is sad that some people must be told every day to be good to others or face the wrath of an angry god.

• Buzz
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I get mine from Walmart, where do you get yours?

• 1 month ago

I understand there's a mail order company in Ohio that posts them, or there used to be.  Nowadays they probably have a commercial website or maybe Amazon have taken over.

• 1 month ago

I order them from Amazon lol. Morals are not something you get, they are something you develop as the result of "proper" reasoning to determine thoughts and actions that produce the least harm to yourself or others. Holy Books such as the Bible are full of immorality, even from God Himself if you are not going to question the harm caused and if there is a way to minimize it. When God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son to prove his loyalty to God, that is immoral because of the mental harm caused to Abraham and his son.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Morals evolved, just like every other part of the human body and mind.  Even man's closest relatives, the great apes, show the beginnings of a moral system.  For that matter, other social animals, such as dogs, can evince a sense of fairness in certain conditions.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Same place everyone else does.

From Empathy and Society.

I don't need a little black book of ancient fairy stories to scare me in to not hurting other people.

• 1 month ago

I get my morals from critically thinking how my actions could possibly affect others in a negative way

• 1 month ago

I agree with Jay, and if you think religion teaches morals then you are just another brainwashed moron, as religion is nothing but crap designed to weaken your tiny brain so that you can believe the bullsheit.  If you believe that morals come from religion then your are a fool. Want to know what you become when you follow religion?  Just read  Ernest S's answer.

• 1 month ago

I don't “get” morals, they are ingrained; part of me.

They are the result of the society and environment I live in, the way I was brought up and my own sense of right and wrong.

• 1 month ago

The same exact place everyone else gets them; from society and upbringing, passed down from our primitive, tribal forebears.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.