Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 5 months ago

How to get past a panic disorder? ?

I'm constantly in a state of panic. I have panic attacks daily. I desperately want to have a job, go grocery shopping, have friends, etc. But this disorder controls everything. I do my very best to force myself into things to try to get over the panic, but it doesn't ever last more than a day or so before I'm totally overwhelmed. I'm taking medication that helps a bit, but not enough for me to be normal. How can I get better? Why is this happening? It seems like I've tried everything. 

You say, "It seems like I've tried everything" but you don't say anything about therapy. For most patients, cognitive-behavioral therapy works better than medicine. There are even people who have success with self-help based on CBT. 

Also, the preferred treatment for agoraphobia - fear of going out, shopping, etc. - is exposure therapy. 

Cognitive-behavioral therapy for panic disorder involves understanding what the attack is. The symptoms are nothing but your system's natural responses to whatever seems threatening. You shouldn't get upset about them. You don't worry about fast heartbeat when you run, and there's no reason to fear it with a panic attack.You can't go wrong with stress management. It's something we all need. This could help you with your problem.

This answer, with advice from a psychologist and stress reduction methods, was rated Best, 5 Stars.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

Although you probably won’t need them, this answer tells you about other panic treatments.

Basically, therapy for phobias, explained by psychiatrist David Burns, author of When Panic Attacks and The Feeling Good Handbook, is making a list of situations, ranking them according to how scary you find them, and using that ranked list as your objectives. Imagining a situation can be an objective. Start with something really, really easy.People who are afraid to go out can start with an objective as easy as sitting in the backyard or standing in the doorway of the front door. Then it could be walking to the mailbox or around the block. 

You can have as many objectives as you like and spend as much time on one as you like.

The thing to remember is never go from objective A to objective B until you feel completely confident with A. Things that give you confidence are experience and slow breathing. 

There's enormous laboratory and clinical evidence that slow breathing is effective for calming people down quickly.Two psychiatrists, Brown and Gerbarg, say a 10 or 20 min slow breathing exercise - 5 breaths a min - is good and 20 min twice a day is a therapy for anxiety. The exercise is inhale and exhale gently, 6 seconds each.    

You get past a panic disorder by prayer.

Make sure all medical reasons are ruled out. Checking thyroid levels, vitamin deficiencies, adrenal glands etc.

If all that is clear, maybe change your medication or try medical marijuana. Stay strong it will get better!