Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Is running 50mph on a 49cc moped bad for the engine?

I made some changes on my moped and got it to do 50mph but I'm curious if it could hurt the engine

Since you are pushing your engine to the maximum it is under stress and if it's a two stroke they are liable to partial seizure that will score the barrels. If you're 17 you should trade it in for a 125 and that will cope with a 50 to 60mph sustained speed without problems.

Source(s): My husband is a motorcycle mechanic and I ride a Yamaha Fazer 1000 which is not stressed even at 130 mph.
  • Bill

If you haven't changed the sprocket(s), you are over revving the engine and it is bad for it.  If you have changed the sprockets and increased the displacement, you might be okay.  Either way, it's no longer a moped in the eyes of the law, so be careful where you run it 50 mph.  

Source(s): I had a 50cc, 30 mph Tomos moped.

I did something similar.  Stayed at full throttle for about 10 miles..  Afterwards, it was never the same.  Harder to start and never rev'd as high as originally.  

• Anton

It you can hit 50 mph, it is a motorcycle, not a "moped."

Going full throttle full time is hard on an engine.

You could kill the "moped" in 40,000 miles.

Will you even reach 40,000 miles on it?  No.