I'm 22 yrs old. I'm supposed to get ssi  money, but my mom never mentions it.?

I'm 22 yrs old. I'm supposed to get ssi 

money, but my mom never mentions it. I have the credit card, but theres never money on it. What do i do?

• Judith

If you are entitled to SSI and you don't receive the benefits directly or they aren't deposited into your checking account, then your mother is probably your payee.  She has no reason to mention it.  If you live with her she is using the benefit to help pay rent, utilities and food and other misc expenses for you e.g. medical care, clothing, etc.  If you don't live with her then she is paying your rent and utilities directly.

She is only accountable to social security for her use of your benefits.  She is required to file an accounting once a year.  As long as your needs are being met then the money is being used appropriately.

A rep payee is appointed whenever a person has a court-appointed legal guardian OR there is a statement in the file from a doctor which states that you are incapable of managing your own benefits appropriately.  A rep payee does not have to be a legal guardian.

Why is it that you haven't asked her about it?  That's what a normal person would have done.  Also if you were approved, YOU received a letter from social security telling you that they were going to appoint a payee and who that payee was going to be.  You were given 10 days in which to contact them if you objected.  They don't just appoint payees without telling beneficiaries about it.

I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

How does she control your money when you are an adult?

Why are you still living at home at 22?