Do you think i should complain to my company's HR department about this?

i work at a retail store. its a large chain, If I said the name you probably would know it.

Like 10 days ago my assistant store manager called me to the office and said that she wanted to demote me and that my pay would go down very minimally. I said do you think I will be making 15 bucks an hour? Of i'm pretty sure of it.  TWICE she said that.

well the other day, I look this thing up online and it says my rate of pay is 14 bucks an hour. she;s like "well I said I would pay you the most I can"  BULLSHIT!]]

\

I went and I talked to the new store manager on his second day and he's like well what led up to all this, I told him it wasnt my idea. and that she nodded her head to 15 bucks an hour. he's like ok, well let me do some research on this one.

If he comes back and says well thats all we can pay you. you think I should call corporate. I have worked there for 12 years.

babyboomer- i just really dont like it to be lied to like that!

I dont  think I was doing that bad of a job as a shift leader, But whatever!!!

tell them to pay you your rate, or quit

• n2mama

Obviously store management doesn’t agree with your assessment that you weren’t doing “that bad” a job as a shift leader, hence the demotion. Feel free to contact corporate if you like, but don’t expect them to do much for you. They will trust the opinion of the management at the store location to handle the situation. And HR is there for the company, NOT the employee, so don’t expect them to do anything much for you either. If you feel your new rate of pay is unfair or you are unhappy with how you have been treated you are welcome to seek other employment options.

Just because someone thought at the time that you might still be paid around $15/hr does not mean there was any actual offer of $15, and certainly there wasn't any guarantee. Quibbling over a dollar isn't going to get you anywhere. You need to consider why you were demoted after years on the job. And maybe you need to find something else before you get demoted again or terminated. Your job is at risk already.

Also note that the retail industry is shrinking due to technological, economic, and other changes. Job numbers have been shrinking for years already! You don't have much future unless you figure out how you can make yourself a highly desirable employee in the retail field. And then you still might not have much future. You certainly have not been paying attention to developments in that industry!

You weren't lied to.

I'm pretty sure of it is not YES.

You should have been told your new pay at the time of demotion.

But it's too late for that.

They have a right to demote you and there was a reason for it, not necessarily related to your performance.  If it was not related to your performance, then what happened is like this:  When a business does not have the income to support the staff it had in the past, they have a choice. 1) Fire some people OR 2) reduce the pay of some or all employees.  Would you have preferred to have been fired?  Complaining would likely get you fired so why are you thinking of complaining?  Either accept it or find another job at a higher pay.

They can't retroactively reduce your pay rate legally.  If they want to reduce your pay they need to inform you of your new pay rate before you work any hours at the new pay rate.   You then have the choice of agreeing to the new pay rate or quitting.

If your pay rate is available in real-time online, then I guess you were informed.  Continuing to work at that rate is your choice.

There is no point in calling HR or corporate about your pay rate.    The only reason you would file a complaint is if they did something illegal such as refuse to pay you the agreed rate without informing you in advance.

Feel free to quit. Corporate is going to let the manager handle it.