Diana
Diana asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What is the best vintage children's book about horses that's not well-known?

I guess 1968 counts these days for vintage?

I still have this book even though I am over 55 years old.

Girl with disability & Horse book.  I cried as a preteen reading it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1444606.Tall_a...

I read every Marguerite Henry horse book I could get my hands on (and met her), but my favorite by far was "King of the Wind." It seemed very exotic at the time as we follow the horse's beginning in Arabia to his emergence as a racing champion in England. It was an award-winning book yet it's not nearly as well-known as "Misty of Chincoteague" or "Stormy, Misty's Foal."

I grew up with 'Silas and the Black Mare" by Cecil Bødker. She a Danish author and well-known here in Denmark. The German ZDF also made a TV series based on the book, but I don't believe many have heard of her outside of Northern Europe.

You can be lucky to find second hand English versions of the book. 'Silas and the Black Mare' was followed by other books, but I don't know if these have been translated. You should be able to read it as a standalone, though.

And thanks for asking, I had forgotten all about Silas, and now I find myself wanting to re-read the books. :)

• j153e

"Well-known" is a fuzzy quantifier, so...

"Dapples of the Circus:  The Story of a Shetland Pony and a Boy;"

also,"Warhorse" by Michael Morpurgo;

and, Marguerite Henry wrote several lesser-known books, such as

"Stormy, Misty's Foal" and "King of the Wind."

• mokrie

Fury.. .....................