How do you know if First Edition books are worth anything?

I recently moved and found 2 large boxes of hardcover books I forgot I had. Going through them I see some are first edition printing. I want to put them on Ebay but I don't know how much they are worth. Do I go with the suggested Ebay price or is there a site that has a price guide I can look up the books?  Some are antique but most are from maybe 10 - 20 years ago.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I would say try the internet but seeing as you're already here, I'm sure you did with no success, what a pickle.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can find out what they are worth by looking them up on bookfinder.com

• 1 month ago

Lisa, for the old books especially, see if you can find the same book in near-identical condition at AbeBooks.com, where book dealers/stores and buyers sell and buy. Asking a similar price, either there or elsewhere, is a reasonable starting point. You can always lower it if a book doesn't move.

Ebay doesn't seem to understand what books are collectible and what are not. AbeBooks does better. Of course there are some sellers there whose asking prices are ridiculous, so take that into account.

I suspect the more recent books have little value unless you have a book that became hugely popular after a fairly small first printing. Most recent hardcovers, first edition or not, you'll be doing well to get four or five dollars apiece. Two is more like it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.