Anonymous

Is it bad to be friends with your ex’s family?

My ex and I dated for 8 months. He went to bootcamp for the USMC. I got very close to his family during this time. He’s gone now and we broke up. Being close with his family has made this break up harder. They want me to go on trips with them and now his mom is my boss... any advise?

• Edna

You've done a lot of "bonding" with the parents of a guy that you dated for only 8 months. If you had been married to him and then you broke up, that would be a different story; but you weren't - you were only his girlfriend and now he's gone. Probably better to cut them out of your life. What are you going to do after you find someone new to date?

Great u HAD a gud relationship. Its not the best of ideas to still be with them that way. What happens when you start dating ?

• Alan H

Only you can decide.    But, in the long term, it may be wiser to move on.

Eh.

For some... it is a way to break a constantly-forming ice.

My brother's mother-in-law routinely has her ex over - and her husband puts up with it.

It can be awkward for some - I guess it wouldn't be for everyone. 

Skip the "trips with them".  It's one thing if these "ex's" are ex in-laws that you've known and loved and shared table with  for years. But these are people who are the parents of a guy you only dated for 8 months and broke up with. Would you be doing this if you'd never dated their son? Sons do not appreciate their Mothers trying to pick out their girlfriends for them. They don't. 

maybe his cousin or brother is meant for u....

• Helen

Ever saw the SATC episode where Carrie had to "break up" with her ex's family? 

You need to set boundaries for yourself in order to move on.

"Is it bad to be friends with your ex’s family?"

There is no one answer that is correct for every situation.   If you are old enough to date, you are old enough to decide whether continuing a social relationship with his family is good for you or not.