Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicOther - Entertainment · 2 months ago

Answer to this riddle?

A guy walks into a store and steals a $100 bill straight out of the register without the store owner's knowledge. The guy then buys $70 worth of goods using the $100 bill, and the owner gives him $30 in change. How much money did the store lose?

I say 30$ if we are being technical because he gave him the 100$ bill back and got 30$ change from the groceries but someone told me I was wrong. It asked how much “money” the store lost specifically....

Please explain your answer If I am wrong

I say it is still $100.  

He ended up with $70 unpaid for goods and $30 change; value is still $100.

If he gave the storekeeper the $100 for $70 goods and did not receive $30 change, he still owes for the $70 goods.  

I agree with chorlie that it is the store's cost for the goods minus the store's markup but would add the cost in time and labor to order replacement goods and for the time wasted dealing with the thief for the bogus transaction. 

• chorle

$100 minus the would have been profit on what was purchased so maybe 20% of the purchase plus the $30 so ($0.8 or 80%/times $70) + $30, 56+30 about $86 if the store has a very high profit margin on the  purchase 

$100 

$70 of goods + $30 of change.

That $70 of goods would, in theory at least, have been converted to cash so the store lost out on that $70 in cash.

Specifically....$30...only if im being a smart *** because specifically money does not include stolen items does it...but if it does, then the answer is $100..He steals $100...lets pretend he leaves...comes back 6 hours later and buys $70 worth of goods...and gets 30 in change...he still has 100$ worth of stuff....lets say he bought 100 worth...that makes it easier to understand right

The answer is

The store lost the goods he took plus $30

Reasoning - Imagine the man entered the shop with $0 and nothing of value

- he left with $30 and the goods, so his gain was the store's loss.

The store is out $100.  

That is $30 in cash - their till received the original $100 which was stolen, but is now $30 short which was given in change.

And the store is also out of $70 in merchandise.

Cash + merchandise = 30 + 70 = $100.