Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Ignition problem?

On my 1993 Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla). It uses a distributor cap ignition. It was running without issue until I pulled one of the spark plug wires off to check for combustion leak. The engine misfired for a bit (obviously), but then it died completely. After putting the wire back, it would crank but not start. I checked and the engine no longer gets any spark at all. Anyone know what I broke when I ran the engine without the plug wire?  I assume the electricity had nowhere to go and shorted something. I'm guessing I fried the ignition coil but am really not sure. What do you think?

You ran the engine with a plug wire off?  Not so good.  I have seen all kinds of problems from this.  If you actually want a cylinder to not work, then pull the wire, clip it to an extra spark plug, and lay that spark plug on the engine where it will be grounded. 

All that high voltage and nowhere to go?  Ouch!

The cam belt snapped. See if the rotor turns when the engine is cranked......the cam belt snapped. Replace it.

Charge the battery.  Get a 12v incandescent test light, connect to battery negative and check for power at the ignition fuse while cranking.   Check for constant and signal voltage at the ignition coil while cranking.  If both are good and there is no spark coming out of the coil, the coil is bad.

• Andy C

The coil and ignition module were likely saved by a default 'limp model that your ECM has as an auto protection for engine misfires.

Reconnect all wires, disconnect the battery for 10min, then reconnect it.

Hopefully this resets the ECM.

You can also use a scanner to read for any 

Get out your voltage meter and check the easy thing first you probably burned out a fuse that runs the ignition. I've never heard of that happening before you could have burned out the little ignition module under the distributor cap. but I'll bet all you did was burn out the littelfuse that runs power to the ignition system

I would suspect the ignition module. You can have it tested at most auto parts stores if you remove it and bring it in. Breakdown of the coil is also a possibility. You can check if it is getting pulses from the module with a multimeter if you have one.