Is it wrong to start a sentence with "the" , for example, "the people are commenting new resolutions to the president."?

• User

First:

Your sentence has a very serious grammatical flaw.

Perhaps you meant something like one of these:

- The people are recommending new resolutions to the President.

- The people are proposing new resolutions to the President.

- The people are commenting on new resolutions proposed by the President.

Is it wrong to start a sentence with "the"?

No.

But note that "the people" has a different meaning from "people"

and which you should use

depends on which meaning you want to convey.

In the sort of context of your (grammatically poor) sentence

- "The people..." means something like: "citizens" or "voters" or "the majority of people". More generally it means ***the people belonging to a particular group***.

while

"People..." means something like: "some people" or "many people" or "typical people".

So, for example:

People don't like it when the government raises taxes.

- Meaning: Typical people...

The people don't like it when the government raises taxes.

- Meaning: The people ruled by that government...

• Zapata

There is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with the definite article (the word 'the') - however in this case it does change the meaning significantly: "The people" implies the population as a whole, acting as one body, whereas "People" implies some people, not everyone.

• John P

In starting a sentence always use a capital letter, even when quoting an example. But your example sentence is not normal English, try: "The people are commenting to the president on his new resolutions".  Many sentences can start with "the".  "The world is round".  The kitchen is at the back of the house".   "The brother of my friend is a lawyer".

THE sentence you started with the is wrong.  BUT I'm  not sure you care about wrong.  WHY don't you go lookup your old English teacher to just say hi?  😄

• frank

Yes and no. If you know what people you are talking about, you must use "the" which is called the definite article. [[Many newspapers skip "the" in their headlines.]]

The people [in my office] are commenting about THE president. [We know the people, and we know what president.]

An apple fell from the tree. [Any apple.]

The apple hit me on the head. [The unknown apple which we know now.]

I saw a boy throw a rock at the window.

The boy is my son.

I need a book on yoga.

Here is the best book on yoga. [I know this book.]

You need to bring a lunch.

The lunch is in the bag on my desk.

I don't see anything wrong with starting sentences with "the", but I have heard that it is wrong to start a sentence with the word "but" though I have a bad habit of doing that. 

Of course you can start a sentence with "the". However, use "the" with a specific group, not the general category.

People are recommending new resolutions to the president.

OR

The people of Ukraine recommending new resolutions... (specific group of people)

Use of the article "the" is idiomatic and not always rule-driven. Doing a lot of reading will give you a sense of how to use it.

BTW "commenting new resolutions" doesn't make any sense. I don't know what you're trying to say. 

The bathroom is over there.  What's wrong with that?