How much storage (SSD) on mac mini for 4k editing?

Hi there.

So I'm planning on making a purchase of a mac mini. Primarily looking at it for basic HD-4k video editing. I'm already set on getting i5 processor, 32gb of ram for efficient capacity, however I'm looking at the SSD options and I'm stuck. Should I just go for 512gb of SSD storage or should I splurge out for a 1tb? 

If you're doing any rendering or transcoding, the limitations of the i5 will become apparent very quickly, likewise the lack of a discrete video card will hamper things as well. CUDA and DirectCompute hardware acceleration are things that you want for video production.  You'll want the 1TB of storage. 

Video editing tends to use a lot of storage.  Not because the editing itself requires the storage space, but because all the clips you want to edit together and all the resulting edited files take up a lot of space.  So the more storage space you have, the better.

Otherwise you will end up having to get an external drive to store all your video files on.  Then you will find yourself having to transfer them off the drive and on to the MAC when you want to edit using them, and then having to transfer the edited file back off your MAC to make room for the next files you want to edit.

The larger-sized SSD would be better for you, sir, as 4K videos take up a phenomenal amount of room, especially when editing them.  You need to take into consideration that you'll be loading the video file(s) into some sort of video-editing application, which will also take up room.

If possible, you should consider, if you can afford it, a larger SSD.