why is the concept of hybrid and electric cars popular now, when they couldn't get a grip on the market back in the 80's and 90's?

1 week ago

Better batteries

It is not popular now.  Musk is desperately trying to partner with Ford or Chevrolet to save Tesla.  Unlike Apple which has a viable product every year and mountains of cash, Tesla has nothing.  The stock is over-valued by a factor of X100.

• david

The same reason the automobile invented in 1769, or the 1st internal combustion engine car (1803), or the first gasoline powered ICE car 1885 didn't take off until about WW2. 

• chorle

I love my Pruis and my hybid Ford but I took a long time to get a hybrid because I was afraid they might spend more time in the shop than a European sports car.

The maintenance isn't cheap but the prius has held up pretty well and price of gas only car maintenance has increased a lot in the past two decades as too.

Electric cars didn't have the range in the 80s. We didn't even know if they would keep a charge when it is 40 below zero (I actually still don't know)

Better batteries

A big reason is technology, particularly battery technology. 

they have been greatly developed since those times