?
? asked in TravelAir Travel · 5 months ago

Would you get on a plane if it was mandatory to have a negative coronavirus test 72 hours prior to departure?

• Rick B

Sure.  I would get on a plane with or without that stipulation if I needed to travel somewhere.

I wouldn't get on a plane under any circumstances.

A negative test doesn't mean much. As an expert explained on the Colbert show the other day, there's an incubation period. That means you can be exposed on Sunday, test negative on Monday, and be spreading the disease on Wednesday. Germany is reportedly implementing instant tests that passengers take, wait 2 hours, then get on their planes. That' makes more sense. It's not likely that someone would suddenly become contagious over the span of a plane flight. 

If it was a trip I had to take for an emergency, yes. Not for a leisure trip.

I am in no hurry to travel ANYWHERE.

That you passed a test THREE days ago means you were good three days ago or maybe longer if results take a while to be processed.

The plane ride is minor to my not wanting to travel. Eventually the plane ride ends and you are faced with the local situation on the ground at destination.

The scenery will still be there NEXT YEAR.

It's bad enough places like Hawaii and Alaska have that stipulation.  With the uncertainly of test availability and return time, it would decimate what little travel there is now.  I tried to get tested for travel and couldn't get one because the results were taking 10 days which of course are worthless. Unless the test could be done at te airport and results processed at the airport, it would never work