Is it safe to go out for dinner with a friend you haven’t seen in a while?

I know most people aren’t doctors on here but I want your opinions on this. A friend I haven’t seen in 2 years wants to get together for dinner and drinks, while I said I’d go and I’m really excited, covid crosses my mind. I was wondering if I go to a restaurant, and wear a face mask, would I be okay? I’d sit across from this person so I feel it’s enough distance, and I’ll try and get a patio spot. Any thoughts?

There are two important factors to consider . a.You are meeting this person after 2 years .b . The corona virus situation . It is better if you could postpone  get together .Tell him not to misunderstand it is because of the current situation.  

Go somewhere you can eat outside. It's scary to interact with people who aren't quarantined or social distanced talking and laughing without a mask on. Throw in a room of people and a circulating air system and it's a gamble. The eateries all require you have a mask on while walking around but no one has them on at their tables. It's a gamble. 

if u go to a restaurant how are u going to eat or drink in a mask? also the main concern FOR ME and why i would never go to a restaurant during corona virus intil the vaccine is administered to me is YOU DON'T KNOW WHO IS HANDLING YOUR FOOD. maybe a cook has asymptomatic corona virus - he has the virus and is spreading it around but doesn't show any symptoms. if such a person handles your food - and they can not cook in rubber gloves, so they do it with bare hands, and then also talks to someone at the same time and his saliva particles fall on your food u re a goner. and i do not believe a cook is wearing a mask all day in the kitchen. we went with our cat to a vet yesterday and had to be there for 1,5 hours wearing mask - i nearly fainted. and i had a thin surgical mask.  NO ONE  will cook in a hot kitchen all day wearing a mask.  NO ONE. and no, the vet was not wearing any mask, so wasn't any personnel. we were the only ones in masks

• mokrie

Unless your friend wears a mask you could still get covid if they are a carrier. Masks protect other people from YOU. If the others wear a mask they protect you from THEM. If your really nervous then just say you want to postpone the meeting until after there is a vaccine available. You just don't want to take a chance. 

That is exactly how many of the positive cases have happened, how are you going to wear a mask in a restaurant, are you just going to sit there, not planning on eating and drinking? Are you going to stuff food and drink into a different hole? The risk for most people is millions to one of catching anything but when you include social situations with food and talking and face to face interaction the odds are considerably shorter.

• Rick B

Life is full of risks.  I eat out almost every day.  I work in an ICU surrounded by Covid patients.

You can always just ask them if they've been around anyone sick and makes sure they've been taking precautions. I tend to trust most of my friends because I know they all takes things seriously with wearing a mask, washing hands, keeping healthy and clean, etc. If you haven't seen this person lately, it wouldn't hurt to just ask them! I'm sure they will understand with everything going on. Worse comes to worse, grab some snacks or a drink and then go sit at a park or something to avoid more people.