Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

I don't know if I should? ?

My spouse and I been living separately for almost 2yrs and been on and off also. We got 1kid together that I fully take care of. All he ever do is complain about making ends meet and paying his bills but yet he spends on game electronics etc.. He makes more money than me. 

The thing is I really want a divorce especially after our last fight where he threatened to kill me to certain things I have no control over (I did reported.. him he has major anger problems ) but the thing is I'm scared to bring it up again. He's currently acting all nice said he's changed but haven't shown any evidence he did.. only thing is acting nice and not picking fights(over text or when he visits our child) I was wondering if I can actually get a divorce with little to no notice just so I can avoid and argument or him begging for another chance. 

You can file for divorce but of course he'll have to be subpoenaed. If your question is can you divorce him without him finding out, no. I'd go talk to a lawyer about what you can and can't do legally to hide yourself and the child you share with him prior to letting him know you're ending it formally. 

You can go down to the courthouse today and file the dissolution of marriage paperwork. You don't have to tell him about it or ask his permission. There will be legal issues to deal with later but you can get the ball rolling all by yourself. You share a child so there WILL BE custody issues and legalities to deal with. That isn't a secret you can pull off without legal aid.  The fact that he threatens to kill you does demand that you have protection. Any chance you can make sure you and your child aren't living alone during this next phase of your dissolution? A family member or good friend? I think you should not be living alone

No you can't. if you file for divorce he will be served papers at which time he has 30 days to file a response before you can request a court date. so no you can not divorce someone without them knowing your intent before hand

In most parts of the world this is impossible.  In places where fault is required you need to PROVE that fault. That takes time and it may be impossible to gain evidence.  In no fault areas there is a time requirement.  As it has been on and off then that is unlikely to be achieved.

• Tj

You go see a divorce lawyer and see what can be done.

• n2mama

You can’t get the divorce without him being notified, but you don’t have to warn him before you file for divorce. Different states have different requirements as far as separation, waiting periods, etc., but your first step is to find a family law attorney and get your filing for divorce in. He has to get served with the divorce papers. He does not have to agree to the divorce, but he does have the ability to drag things out, especially since you have a child involved. Eventually the judge can finalize the divorce even if he never agrees, because they won’t force you to stay married, but it could literally take years for things to get to that point.

thats up to you