Sand mounds on driveway ?

I’ve had these sand mounds on my driveway and getting more each day. I thought they were ant mounts, so I put ant gel and it didn’t work. I then used gopher pellets and they didn’t work either. There is a hole visible on each mound and there are large locust/hornet-like looking insects flying around the mounds. Any idea what this is? 

They are probably cicada-killer wasps, which are harmless and slow-moving, colorful and look like very large wasps or hornets. They build mounds like this. They are beneficial insects. They kill cicadas and locusts and other vegetation eating insects. And they don't sting. 

I'd leave them. In the fall, brush the sand mounds away with a broom. They are not termites OR carpenter ants--which only feed on wood, not bricks or grass. 

TERMITES was my first guess, but if you have a flying insect it could be flying termites or carpenter ants.  All need an extermitator.

• y

I figure ground hornets or wasps, I'd put expanding foam into the hole at night and see what happens.

Sounds like ground digger wasps or ground hornets. They aren't usually aggressive towards humans unless they think the nest is being attacked - which can mean you getting within a few metres of it.  So stay clear. If you're going to do anything about it, do so at night when most of them are back in the nest.  You'll find many videos about this on the 'net, usually filmed by rather brave people!  Or get a professional in.

• Andy C

Wasps.  Do you live in Iowa or Texas?

Cicadas.