Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

If you're a young adult and you still live with your parents, do you still have to do and obey everything they say?

There are a few things you should honor such as maybe not bringing a sex partner home if they don't want that. Also 'lights out/door locked' rules they may have. But they should furnish you a key so you can stay out later if you want.  It's their house, so modifications you want may be out of line, even such as a dead-bolt on your door.  Some are just plain consideration things and need to be discussed probably and agreed on to be acceptable to all.

Yes! You need to. If you dont want to, move out.

You should respect their home. Have you tried having a conversation with them about how you feel? Perhaps boundaries need to be set on both sides.

• Alan H

No.    But the basic House Rules still apply 

I'm 38 and live with my tyrant mom and stepdad.

Yes, you do... unless you have some kind of renter's contract - official - that makes them have to treat you as a renter rather than a legal adult still there - that they can kick out with the snap of their fingers.

That's what mine do.

I've out before and my mom would always give me some sob story - I would move back in - get abused - spend frivolously from depression - and end up stuck.

Yes, you have to obey their policies - unless (again) you got them to provide some sort of renter's contract where they have to treat you as a paying renter and can't just threaten to boot you out if you come home later than they want.

• Ocimom

More or less.  Its called respect.  As in coming home when they ask you, not having overnight guests in your room, paying rent, etc.

• David

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

One word would have worked, but Yahoo Answers won't allow that, even when it is logical and appropriate.

i think you should obey them

• A

Their home, their rules, if you don't like it move out.  

It depends. I make payments to the bills and rent. I’m 28, my mom is 63. If she doesn’t get her way she will throw an anger tantrum and can be just plain abusive with her words.

Since I live with her and the house is in her name I just do what she says and secretly plan my way out. After years of physical abuse and now emotional abuse in her older days, I just can’t sit here in help out anymore. She rents places she can’t afford even though no one will agree with her but as her daughter I have no choice but to live with her because even though she has the upper hand in salary she really can’t live on her own, too angry and impulsive. But at the same time she’ll rent a huge place expecting everyone to contribute but everyone will tell her don’t move to a place we can’t afford, she won’t listen because in her mind she thinks by renting a huge place she is providing a great life for her children when in fact it does more harm than good.

My sister is lucky. She has a large group of friends since high school and college, she can make decisions to move in with someone.

Me on the other hand am always trying to hurt myself so people don’t really feel a living situation with me is safe.

So far now. I just have to wait and deal with what my mom demands because I just can’t deal with tantrums at this point