What do I need to do when buying a car from a private dealer other than the title.?

What do I need to get from the DMV?

What do I tell my insurance company?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

What is this "private dealer" you speak of? Do you mean private party?  You meed a bill of sale no matter what "private" you buy from.

• May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

What is a "private dealer" ?

The dealer will tell you what you need to do, if anything.

The most important thing is to insure the car before it is moved one inch.

• 1 month ago

If you are paying all up front and get no loan you will have to arrange payment in a manner that he will accept.  If you give him a personal check he may hold it for ten days before he turns over the title.   You want to make sure there is no lien on the car,  that would show up on the title.    You can insure the car with your insurance company by having the VIN.    

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Whatever your state requires

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

They are not dealers.  They are private sales.

When you are SURE about making the purchase you need TRANSFER PAPERS.  A government form and fill in the blanks(most car insurance places will have TP.) You fill it out and give the seller a copy after you both sign it.

.  This TRANSFERS OWNERSHIP of the vehicle from him to you.  Then you need his registration papers which is a more detailed description of the vehicle.(blue & pink)

.  He can scribble out a receipt on a paper lunch bag for you to hold saying you bought car and paid in full which you both sign. Actually make 2 of them so he has a copy.  It is your paper proof you paid for it...so you can drive out of the yard and if a cop stops you because the owner reported the car stolen (SOME TRY TO DO THAT) you got the piece of paper with his signature on it saying "paid in full"   He is less likely to do that because you have PAPER PROOF.

Now the car needs insurance and license plates.(as those plates and insurance on the car belongs to him) so you walk off to an Insurance agent to buy insurance.(ask them about the rest)

.   Now I have not done this for years as we are on a newer system....but I do remember getting the license plates from DMV in the good old days.   Insurance agents handle the metal plates and tags now. - not DMV.

DMV just tests for Driver's Licenses.  Insurance does all the rest.

Return to the car and remove the old license plates as that is tied with the former owner's insurance.  You got new plates which you screw on...and carry the insurance FOR YOU IN THE CAR.  Make sure before you go that you have the spare tire and the PROPER CAR JACK meant for the car(not any old jack tossed into the car because we ALL GET FLAT TIRES.  It is a bad time to find the jack is not meant for the car or the wheel wrench is missing.  IF THERE IS A BALE OF WEED IN THE TRUNK, say nothing and think of it as a bonus.   Check engine for oil before you start the engine and that it has sufficient coolant in the cooling system and know how to check brake fluid levels.  Also he is paid in cash in full. Once you leave his yard any car problems now belong to you. (not him - the reason he was selling that bucket of bolts).

Telling the insurance everything is what you should do for they may do most of it and direct you to what they don't do.

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Inspection by YOUR trusted mechanic. That $100 will possibly save you $Thousands.

In "title" states or countries you get a title signed by the seller in the presence of a genuine Notary Public. The Notary will walk you through the entire procedure so that you do not make mistakes. If someone suggests, "My Aunt's a notary and she'll sign and stamp it for you next week," then run away. Something is rotten.

If you are offered a title that is already signed, or the seller claims that the title is lost, run away. No need to get involved with a "no title" car that just might be stolen.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

a) There is no such thing as a "private dealer". Dealers sell to the public. 

b) If you mean a private party who is selling a car, then the first thing to do is perform a title and accident check on the vehicle by buying a Carfax (or similar) report. Then you have someone do a thorough pre-buy inspection if you don't know how. 

c) Notify your insurance company and give them the VIN number.

d) After you've negotiated the price, be sure the seller fills out the title properly and that it is in his / her name and not someone else's name. If required where you live, get the title notarized and make two copies of a bill of sale for each of you to sigh stipulating the price and any other details such as "as-is-where-is" or whatever deal you make with them such as to be picked up by a certain date id not the date of sale.

• A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A bill of sale with the terms of the sale, any warranty, the price and signed by the seller

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Have a mechanic inspect it before you buy it....

Insurance companies need the VIN,make ,model and year of the car.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.