Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 month ago

How important is it to conform to other’s demands of us?

For example, if my uncle thinks entrepreneurship is critical, my dad thinks obsessive excercise is critical, my sister can’t respect anyone without an advanced degree, etc, it it important to conform to their world views?

• Bobo

It is important to develop your own character as an individual.  If these other people have notions that conflict with your own ideas then you should leave them to their own ideas.  Exercise and education are both good, but should not be obsessed over.  The things to obsess over are character traits (honesty, responsibility, integrity, self-control, etc.).  If you maintain a good character the other stuff will fall into place.

You have been exposed to all of these people and will likely have your own ideas. The next question is, are they happy?  You sound like someone who won't do to others what you hate having done to you. That's the best way to be.

• Jesere

I conform to no one.  I follow my own path.