What’s the best way to cook Alaskan Cod? Can you fry cod or is it best to only bake or grill?

Attachment image

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anton
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Batter: 1 egg, 1/4 cup milk, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 cup flour.

Defrost the cod, cut the fillets in to 2 or 3 pieces.  Batter.  Deep fry for 5 minutes.

Serve with potato chips (which is sliced differently than french fried potatoes), malt vinegar over everything, salt the chips, a bottle of Fuller's ESB.

Comfort Food!

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

you can steam it or smoke cook it , just takes longer to smoke .can fry it , bake it , cut it smaller the cook it , or you can mince it for patties , or you can have it raw like sushi .

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I pan-fry one side of the fish,flip it over,and finish in the oven

until its' flaky. P.S.defrost thoroughly in the fridge before cooking.

• David
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Fish & chips baby!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

My ex's secret recipe was to wrap it in aluminum foil and microwave on high for 45 minutes... bread and fry it, you cant go wrong.

• 1 month ago

Cod can be cooked in many ways, here in GB it is the most eaten white fish [although European cod, rather than Alaskan]. It can be deep or shallow fried, grilled, steamed, oven-baked or cooked in a white sauce with parsley, or in a cheese baked or tomato-based sauce. For deep frying it needs to be covered in batter. Traditionally fried cod is served with chips [fries] and peas.

• Cod is not a good choice for grilling. Because it’s flakes into large chunks when cooked, it tears easily at slight pressure. Grilling is only meant for sturdy foods that won’t break when you try to slide a spatula underneath. You can bake it if you’re looking for something light w some herbs and citrus, you can sear in a hot pan like you would salmon (being gentle), or you can fry like most people would suggest. Especially since Cod isn’t a strong flavored fish, some people would prefer a batter and fries than enjoy the taste of fish

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can do any of those.

When I make fish tacos, I mix a little flour with corn meal, add some salt, pepper and herbs, then roll the fish in that and then saute it in a pan. 

ETA:  The person who said cod isn't good for grilling because you can't slide a spatula under it has NO CLUE how to grill fish. 

• A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can cook it any of those ways, I dip in beaten egg, then press into crushed ritz crackers and bake it

• Can be done in many ways -- oven, ceder plank on BBQ, or right on grill grate if you know what you're doing

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.