What does it feel like to go under anesthesia?

I'm having a wrist surgery next week, and it's my first surgery. Any information on what to expect would be very helpful! My surgeon walked me through everything at my pre-op appointment, but I'd love to hear any personal experiences if you have it.

Thanks! 

• Orla

Not a big deal.  You're lying on the table, they already have an IV in your hand. When it's showtime the guy will say you're gonna feel sleepy.....and the next thing you know you're waking up and it's over and the groggy feeling goes away kinda quick.  Good Luck !!

It's like nothing. You won't remember going under when you come out of it.

I would think you won't get general anesthesia for wrist surgery.  Maybe a tranquilizer pill and then a couple local injections to deactivate the nerves in the area of surgery.  You'd be awake but tranquilized during the procedure.  Your hand and lower arm would be numb --- if not, ask for another shot --- and you won't feel anything.

Don't be fooled into thinking it is like a nice long sleep! You wait around for the op, have an injection and the next thing you know you are waking up and within a very short time you are wide awake (you usually are pumped up with adrenaline) and because you have not had food beforehand you are ready for some breakfast. I have designed several operating theatres, but as a patient I have yet to see inside one as I've always been unconscious by the time I have been trundled in - and then I am waking up in the recovery room. You'll do just fine.

Having had major heart surgery twice under anaesthetic the feeling you get when under it is zero. My first operation was at least 5 hours long and I felt nothing of course and neither did I dream.

I was totally unconscious 

For a wrist surgery they're probably not going to totally knock you out but if they do totally knock you out I can tell you what it feels like the doctor gives you a piece of paper and says read this carefully before you sign it and as you're reading the paper everything just goes black that's their trick!And when you wake up in the recovery room you don't even know what happened