Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

How long do US Passports have to be valid?

I'm planning to go to iran next year to visit family. I was wondering do US Passports have to have 6 months validity to leave the US? I am a dual citizen planning to use an iranian passport as well but I think to leave the US your US passport has to be 6 months valid. As a result should I renew it? 

• RICK

That is up to the country you are visiting

That 6-month requirement is for ENTERING a foreign country. Presumably you will enter Iran on your Iranian passport as an Iranian citizen. Your US passport must still be currently valid to reenter the US. Last day you can reenter US is the last day that US passport is valid. 

There is no passport control when exiting the USA.  The airline needs to see both passports when you check-in for the flight departing the USA.

Try very hard to not show your US passport to Iranian Immigration. 

Your US passport just has to be valid for you to return to the USA on it.  

They are valid until they expire.  The country you go to may require they have more than six months before expiration but it doesn't matter to the State Dept.

• A.J.

US government doesn't even check your US Passport until you return to re-enter the USA, and as long as not expired, it is not an issue in general. Passport renewals are on a major time delay still. Unknown when they'll catch up. The extra time to expiration is about entering a country for foreign citizens. You enter Iran on your Iranian Passport, and unknown about US Passport stamping requirements by the Iranians in or out of the country or into the USA. Dual citizenship is rare, so you'll have to look that up. 

There is a serious travel advisory in effect.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/travela...

Do not be shocked if held and questioned upon your return.

I expect that dual US-Iranian citizens are under watch by the US government. I will not state one way or the other about whether or not it's justified.

The direct answer to your question is "not an issue about expiration date".