iS THIS CORRECT GRAMMER?

MY HUSBAND AND ME

• John P

For a start, ' grammar', spelled thus. And your question needs context. It is wrong to say "My husband and me went to Paris" but it is right to say "A book was given to my husband and me".

It may be correct grammAr. Or it may not. It depends how you use it.

My sister sent an anniversary present to my husband and me.My husband and I received a present from my sister.

The easy way to know which is right is to remove the other person.Would you say "My sister sent a present to I"? Of course you wouldn't. You'd say "to me". It doesn't change when you add the other person. A present to him and me.

Would you say, "Me received a present"? Of course not. You'd say "I received". So put the other person back into the sentence, and there you are: My husband and I received a gift. He and I received a gift.

Is it correct grammAr?  That depends on how you use it.

If you say:  My husband and me went to the movies, that's incorrect -- "me" can't go to the movies.

If you say:  Some friends met my husband and me at the movies, that's correct.

• susan

What you wrote is not correct grammar, because it is not a whole sentence yet. If you put it into a sentence, then we will be able to answer your question. 

The phrase "my husband and me" is grammatically correct in some sentences and grammatically incorrect in other sentences.

"My husband and I." Did something. 

'Something happened to "my husband and me"'

I hope that illustrates the relation between subject and object.

Native American English speaker.

The word is "grammar" not "grammer"!

(=^_^=)        

• Craig

GuantanamoGeorge and Fin are both correct.  If the distinctions of "the start of the sentence" or "subject" or "object" are a bit confusing or meaningless, you can always pick the right pronoun with this simple trick:

Run the sentence through your head WITHOUT the other person ("my husband") in it, and see if it sounds better with "me" or with "I".

So, if the sentence were "My husband and me went to the block party" you would take "my husband" out and be left with "Me went to the block party."  Wouldn't it sound better if you said "I went to the block party"?  So the right way, in that instance, is to say "My husband and I went to the block party".

BUT "I" is NOT always the right answer!  Watch this:

If the sentence were "The car conked out and stranded my husband and I" you would do the same thing:  Take the other person ("my husband") out and run the resulting sentence through your head...which would be "The car conked out and stranded I".  Sounds silly, doesn't it?  What about "The car conked out and stranded ME"?  That's better.  So in this instance, the right answer is "The car conked out and stranded my husband and ME."

BTW - another confusion you often hear is putting yourself first, as in "I and my husband".  This is easy to avoid, just by remembering your personal pronoun, whether it's "me" or "I", ALWAYS comes last.

I've been speaking and writing English all my long life, and I still double-check myself using this little trick.  Hopefully you'll find it handy.

Leave out the "my husband" to see which word to use.

I like peanuts.  My husband and I like peanuts.

The traffic light stopped me.  The traffic light stopped my husband and me.

It's spelled "grammar." "My husband and me" is correct as an object. "She visited my husband and me." "My husband and I" is correct as a subject. "My husband and I visited her."