How do you jmmy a door?

Just  curious how do you jimmy a door?  I know a jimmy is a person name but i never heard of a door being jimmy?  my other what is a slang for jimmy?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If only you had internet access, you could enter "jimmy (verb)" in the search window, press Enter and find out.  Oh well, someday.

• 1 month ago

There is a tool called a "Jimmy". It is no doubt slang, coming from possibly from a person who was named "Jim" that used it to get around door locks. It is a thin "metal blade" used to get the door latch to retract. The other possible origin is an adulteration of the word "Jam" (a part of a door). The Jimmy is slipped into the opening between the door and the jam on doors like you find on buildings to retract a bolt (part of the door latch). A similar tool is used on car doors and slipped between the window and the weather seal to trip the door release mechanism. Easier on older cars.

The door is not a "Jimmy", the tool used to open a locked door might be a jimmy as opposed to "picking the lock" or busting it open.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.