Do you need a prescription to purchase crutches?

I have standard hospital issued crutches..  They are the wooden ones that go under your armpit.  I saw forearm crutches on the internet.  Where could I get them?  Will I need a prescription or doctors note?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Anyone can buy crutches, wheel chairs, and most other medical supplies. Prescriptions for these things is about insurance company paying for them or re-imbursement. Major pharmacies and medical supply stores, and sellers on Ebay and Amazon, and used ones on Facebook and Craigslist possibly. You would normally need a height adjustable with good padding type. There is under the arms and hands held types.

• 1 month ago

Nope. You can order crutches online or buy them from places like Walgreens and CVS.  

• 1 month ago

They do not require a prescription.

• 1 month ago

Hardly, one cheap place is a second hand store like Goodwill. Often you will find medical devices such as this for sale in such places.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

no you don't need a prescription for any device like that. You can buy them in any full service drug store or on Amazon.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.