shreka asked in HealthOptical · 1 month ago

Will wearing a weaker prescription for nearsightedness harm my eyes? I’m23 & my eyes decrease by -0.25. Usually they increase or no change.?

Last year : -4.00 , 4.75

Now: 3.75 ,-4.50

My coworker says she never heard of nearsighted going down instread of increasing. My eyes usually already increased but stayed the same for 2 years and now went down . . I really don’t want to damage my eye .  I ask a similar question on here yesterday but still uncertain about the weaker prescription .

Did you change optometrists for exams? Otherwise wear whatever glasses that are currently prescribed.

Such a small change as that can be down to lifestyle changes, being happier on the day of the test and choosing the lens option which is least contrasty towards the end of the evaluation. Generally people with Myopia will see their eyes grow slightly longer as they age to a certain point. In my case it stopped getting worse around the age of 50.   Remember to get your eyes tested at the frequency suggested by your eye doctor and all should be well.

Always use a prescription that matches your eyes. Nearsightedness changes over the years. My suggestion is to see an ophthalmologist or optometrist at least once a year and you'll stay on top of this issue. Your eyesight is too important to trust to advice of coworkers.

It is certainly possible for prescriptions to go down. You have experienced a very small change. Sometimes when people quit reading and studying as much, like when they finish college, their nearsighted prescription decreases because they don't focus up close as much. As small as the change is, it could be due to a daily variation or even the doctors prescribing philosophy. I see it happen on a pretty regular basis. I often don't change the prescription to make it lower because when I do, patients are often dissatisfied. 

The lenses refract the light.  If the Rx doesn't match your eyes you will strain them.

this question is for your eye doctor who actually knows whats going on with your eyes..your coworker does not know..doesn't matter if she never heard of it, she also has not spoken to every person on the planet who wears glasses.