Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 month ago

Why does my computer always show high disk usage and is slow?

My Dell laptop is just a couple years old.  When I first turn it on it is super slow with NO applications running.  Task Manager says Disk Usage = 100%, memory is like 80%.  It is so slow it is almost unusable for about 10 minutes then the Disk Usage goes down to about 65% and the memory down to about 60%.  CPU usage hovers around 10%.  What’s weird is that it has a 500GB hard drive and 350GB free so why is disk usage so high all the time?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Your hard drive is failing.  No, I'm not guessing.  We had dozens of HP laptops doing this recently.  Most of them had Toshiba hard drives in them.  All of them had hard drive failures very shortly after showing 100% disk usage, causing windows to run really slow.

Back up your personal data to the cloud, NOW.

• 1 month ago

Several steps I suggest:

1. Look at list of startup apps. One or more may be unnecessary or malware.

2. Run a disk cleaner to remove unneeded files

3. Do a defrag, as after two years your files may be scattered, causing high disk activity.

4. View task manager to see which app is using the high CPU.

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sounds like you either have malware or only have 4Gb of RAM or less causing disk swapping to virtual memory (your hard drive). Go to Control Panel and find the System icon. See how much RAM it shows there.

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It sounds typical of what happens to nearly every laptop that doesn't have an SSD hard drive.  The newest\patched version of Windows 10 or Mac OS can't handle the old hard drives properly.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's a laptop with likely a 5400rpm hard drive which is known to be slow. Your best bet would be to buy a solid state drive and upgrade it but might not be worth it depending on the age and specs of the system. You might be better off buying a more powerful laptop with atleast 16gb ram, core i5 processor, and a solid state drive. It will make life much easier and speed things up a lot. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You may need to clean it.

Get CCCLEANER and run it on the system to clean up old files and remove clutter that websites leave behind.  The free version will do this just fine.  The CCLEANER program also has an option to show you what programs are trying to start up when you first turn on the computer.  You could run that option to make sure that there are no back ground programs that have been turned on without you realizing it.  Depending on how you use your computer and what you download - some things get in there and start up without being obvious.  

https://www.ccleaner.com/

Then you should probably also defragment your hard drive.  Here is a link to tell you how:

https://www.crucial.com/articles/pc-users/how-to-d...

If you still have performance issues after that - ask again.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.