Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

Is it okay for me to be upset that mom registered me for US citizenship when I was young given that I just found out about tax obligations? ?

I was born to my mother 24 years ago. My mother is a US citizen but my father is not. I was born and have lived outside the US and have never been to the US. More than 2 decades ago I was registered at the local consulate, given a SSN and passport. I have been actively saving for retirement and been very responsible with my money. Only to recently find out about all of this....

I am so angry with my mother right now!!! 

Is this rational, or am I missing something?

What is your annual earned income?  If it is less than $100,000 and you live outside the USA then you won't owe any US taxes.  

Note you can file online for free:

www.irs.gov

You can be upset about anything you so wish. 

If you have no interest in ever setting foot in the US you can just ignore the obligation to file a US tax return each year.  Millions of people do that.  But filing a US tax return does give you the option getting an adult US passport and using it to visit the US which at some point you might want to do. 

Presume you know that you can offset your UK tax against your US tax obligation so you are unlikely to pay more tax except that the US charges capital gains on the sale of your primary residence.  Sounds as if we are about to be hit with that in the UK soon so even that problem will go away.

The United States is by far the best country on Earth. Getting your foot in the door costs $1M via the EB-5 investment visa route, which is why we put that at the value of US citizenship. So your mother gave you a million dollars without asking you? What a horrible mother you have!

I'm also very sorry that you make millions of dollars per year and have thus surpassed the threshold where US tax laws even matter to you. If you were a bloody worker making $100,000 a year, taxed in your home country, you wouldn't owe a penny.

But with your incredible wealth you are free to renounce your US citizenship any time you like. We won't miss you.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.

If your mother was a US citizen at the time of your birth, you hold birthright citizenship in the US. Whether Mom registered you or not, you were born that way! She tried to protect your birthright, and nothing wrong with that. Yes, your mother should have informed you better about your US obligations, but you are an adult, and at 24, you've had at least 6 years where obtaining such info is YOUR responsibility. If you do not want to be a US citizen, you will have to renounce your birthright. To renounce, you must have fulfilled all your US tax obligations & prove it with your tax returns.

• Justin

You are only 24 years old, how much 'savings' could you possibly have?

The problem I see is being 'double-minded.' If you embrace citizenship and its 'obligations' fully, you will find that they are not burdensome at all unless you interpret them that way. While taxation is a big financial hit, the benefits of being a member of the social security program include being able to borrow and invest money through the reserve banking system throughout your adult life, as well as provide for yourself in retirement even if things don't work out well for you. 

There are U.S. citizens who live their entire life earning just above the poverty line, living very simply but learning to creatively invest their earnings, ultimately retiring as millionaires. They help many other people by doing this, plus end up living their golden years exactly as they wish. There are also people who realize that tax money doesn't just 'vanish' into thin air. You can get some or all of it back by vigorously pursuing access to government programs or even helping to create them. I have helped artists, musicians and small business people get every dime they ever paid into taxes back as benefits to help run organizations or fund their favorite arts, etc...Doing this just takes real passion and drive.

Like anything else, you only get out of the system what you put into it. It can be a source of oppression and anxiety when greeted like a thief or when only used in a 'lazy' manner. It can be a source of great help, guidance and even wealth too. That is up to you.

If you object to the entire system morally, you can also opt out entirely through something called 'expatriation.' This effectively ends your legal relationship with the United States government and all of your obligations, but its benefits are greatly missed if you take any of them for granted, so get to know the 'upsides' before you make such a dramatic decision.   

Either way, Americans call this 'natural liberty.' Our founders used the term 'inalienable' to describe this individual right to interpret things however we please, since no one can reach into your mind and make you see your own life the way they do. Each person, regardless of race, birth class or gender has this GOD-given ability. Just truly embrace being an 'American' rather than being opportunistic or selfish and you will discover that natural liberty is quite real and very powerful.

There's no register there.  If you were born to a citizen you are one.

You can renounce it if you want.  Just show back up at the consolute and tell them that's what you want to do.  They will want that passport, but it's pretty simple.