Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

When should I put winter tires on my car?

This is the first time I’m considering buying a set of winter tires (15 inch with steel wheels). I have a 2019 Ford Fiesta and the tires that came with it are not that great and I know that it won’t do well in winter snow. Last winter luckily it didn’t snow that much but I slipped on some snow dustings. I have to drive a lot for my job now and I moved to a apartment on a hill in a hilly area of town and  this is why I’m considering them. I live in southern Ohio and weather tends to get cold in late October. Is that a good time to put them on? 

I'd go with mid october. Why take a cance.

@Jack, Ph:   Winter   begins about Dec. 21. Not  necessarily  the first snow. If that were true, we'd have NO winter in my city. . It is a season, not a climate.  I've turned on foglites in June. 

If your snow tires are studded your state puts dates on when you can put them on and have to take them off.   If you got regular snow tires then you can put them on now but they wear down fast without snow.   I would put them on 1 October. 

• F

Winter tyres work best below 7C, it doesn’t need to be snowing to benefit from them. 5-10C won’t  matter either way . Change by temperature not the colour of the road.

Also important although some will advise otherwise , fit 4 winter tyres even to a fwd car, otherwise you will have different grip under braking and may spin.

usually I wait until there is actual snow on the ground.   Or really nuts are knocking cold. Then I may get 4 feet of snow...for months.

when it starts coughing in the morning

The ford fiesta is front wheel drive so you don't need winter tires but it won't be a bad idea as winter tires can actually shorten the stopping distance in wet/snowy conditions. So the car will actually be safer to drive with winter tires but most people do fine with all season tires.

Blizzack and other Winter tires should not be driven on when the temperature is higher than 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The rubber in the tires is softer and will wear out faster in hotter weather.

• Joe

If you're slipping in only a dusting of snow, your problem is the way you drive - not the tires.  You have to reduce your speed, increase your following distances, and be a lot more gentle with your acceleration, braking, and turning.

For better advice on whether to get them, and when, ask your neighbors and co-workers who have lived there longer than you.  Also: consider where you will store your summer wheels in the winter, and the winter wheels in the summer.  Tires take up a lot of space in an apartment!

Shoot for the first of November.  I live in SW PA.  Only once in the past 30+ years did it snow as early as that.

I'd say in the winter is your best bet.