Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Is my professor allowed to do this?

So I have been taking this college course for 2 years (whilst doing an internship) and will be completing it by the end of this month. I have passed all of my modules/assignments up until now, but now my professor has emailed me and said I will have to retake the whole 2 YEARS due to plagiarism. 

I am very frustrated because if it was due to plagiarism, why make me pass all of my modules and only tell me now that I’ve almost completed the course? Why tell me to retake the entire 2 years instead of a maybe few modules where plagiarism took place? 

Is this legal? Ethical? I have always felt that my professor had a personal hatred towards me.

Please let me know what I should do

so your this one? https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

of course. plagerism is fraud. go complain to your board see what they say.

in fact "your" professor could let you graduate then have you arrested.

"your" professor is quite nice.

I never cheated and my professors were mean to me. they made me work when obviously they couldve kept people like you around as money slaves to pay my way!

Was the plagiarism accidental? Did you not know?  If not, then yes you will have to take it again. 

I think you had done a mistake and not fully filling his requirement about studies that's why your professor takes this decision. 

You don't write that you did, but - you don't have to.You're guilty, aren't you? The school should kick you out. That would be fair & ethical. You're a cheat. You've learned nothing. Is it fair to others that you copied someone else's work? Is it fair that you should have a degree & you cheat your future employer? Shame!

Your professor must 1st prove the allegations. Failure to do so leaves him/her open to charges of libel and larceny.

That's a question for the administration at your university or school.  In the U.S. plagiarism is considered very serious and usually results in academic dismissal. 

If there was any plagiarism anywhere ever, ALL of your work is suspect. Consider yourself extremely fortunate that you are being given a second chance to retake the entire program. Plagiarism is grounds for expulsion from school.

you're lucky -- at my uni, plagiarism resulted in you being thrown out without a degree at all.  we lived in fear that we might take too much from a source and then be expelled.  You got caught.  Since they don't know if you lifted all your 'work' from somewhere else, or merely part of it, you get to redo the lot.  Or, you can quit.  Your choice.  oh, yes -- and the department head or dean probably already discussed your case with your professor ... which means you have no effective appeal.

Where are you? It doesn't sound like the U.S.

You need to read your college's policy on academic honesty and plagiarism, to find out the potential punishment for plagiarism and your appeal rights.

You don't really seem to be denying the plagiarism. So the only issue would be whether your professor's punishment was too harsh. If your college's policy says something to the effect of "failure to adhere with this policy may result in academic and disciplinary action, up to and including expulsion from the college" then your professor would have been within his rights. If the policy sets out a graduated punishment system for first and later offenses and/or degrees of intention, you may be correct that the punishment is not in line with the policy. 

Either way, you can probably appeal the finding of plagiarism and your professor's decision to the Department (Faculty) Chair (you would be able to in the U.S., at least). 

And yes, it's quite common in the more egregious instances of plagiarism to have the student fail the entire course, not just the module(s) in which the plagiarism occurred. It's quite common, actually, to have the student expelled from the college entirely. 

Your question implies your plagiarism was both deliberate and repeated; so by appealing you run the risk of them overturning your professor's decision to make you restart the course, and expelling you from the college. 

If you plagiarized, you are lucky he isn't having your dishonest a** thrown out of university.