Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Are ppl more suspicious or less supicious in areas where masks must be worn? Do you find more ppl make eye contact for longer,less,or same?

Some people may be more wary of their surroundings when wearing a mask and seeing others wear a mask, but they will likely already have an alertness about them that is now heightened because of the current social situation.  People who, prior to COVID-19, were uncomfortable with eye contact are less likely to change their behavior now, but those you still want to connect with others will more openly and freely make eye contact. Also, keep in mind that approximately 90% of our communication is non-verbal.

Interesting question!  

I do find myself far more focused on people's eyes when wearing a mask.  Not because I find them suspicious but because of the loss of being able to see facial expressions (key body language).  So I compensate by making more eye contact.  Then there is the fact that they are choosing to wear at mask at all that actually offers more trust to a mutually preventative effort.  And all of this is ironic considering how I viewed anyone wearing a mask before covid-19 as suspicious (as a threat to my own health) or in general.  I admit I am curious to know how others will answer this question too.  Great question!

😄 

I don't make eye contact at all.

When I'm out, my ONLY 2 concerns are safety and necessities.