Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Do you say a formal “hi” to all colleagues? What if they walk past and dont say hi?

After opinions and want to see what others do..

It depends on my mood, how busy I am, whether or not I make eye contact with them, and if they are even free to receive a greeting.  At work you don't exist to talk to everyone, you are there to work, so it isn't a priority.  Granted I tend to have closer relationships with some colleagues than others, so I make a larger effort with them.

I have worked in the same place for 30 years sat next to the same person for 10 of those, I can tell whether it worth saying 'morning' just by looking - often they are well engrossed in their computer that they don't want to be disturbed by the time I rock up. Since I have been working from home for the last 5 months, that is one bit of etiquette I don't need to even think about now.

when i was working i was saying hi to everyone and not all of them were saying hi in return. one in particular was so strange - we were working on the same floor and i could see her often while walking to a copy machine room. i would always say hi and she would never say hi in return. continued walking as if i didn't exist. but if i met her in a coffee room or in copy machine room she was making a conversation like nothing happened. i still wonder what was that. we never coincided during out work otherwise