Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What is the difference between a writer and an author? ?

Just curious......

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 days ago

Improve your knowledge from https://bestbookawards.org.uk

• 1 month ago

An author is one who has got the authority entitled to his or her work, which could be anything. A writer is someone who is an unauthorized author of his or her work. 

• 1 month ago

Authors have been paid.

• 1 month ago

What I see most often is that a writer is any person who writes, whether it's their own ideas or content or that of someone else (including a business entity), and an author is someone who has written their own content which has been published for sale.

At one time that included only commercial publication, but self-publishing seems to make people authors now as well, although IMO many should not have taken that step without improving their manuscripts.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The most common distinction I found when I googled this is that an author is one who originates the idea, the plot, the content of what he or she writes. A writer could be writing about someone else's ideas. Someone who only writes news articles, for instance, is not an author. All authors are writers but not all writers are authors.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.