Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What is the difference between a writer and an author? ?

Just curious......

• 2 days ago

Improve your knowledge from https://bestbookawards.org.uk

An author is one who has got the authority entitled to his or her work, which could be anything. A writer is someone who is an unauthorized author of his or her work. 

Authors have been paid.

What I see most often is that a writer is any person who writes, whether it's their own ideas or content or that of someone else (including a business entity), and an author is someone who has written their own content which has been published for sale.

At one time that included only commercial publication, but self-publishing seems to make people authors now as well, although IMO many should not have taken that step without improving their manuscripts.

The most common distinction I found when I googled this is that an author is one who originates the idea, the plot, the content of what he or she writes. A writer could be writing about someone else's ideas. Someone who only writes news articles, for instance, is not an author. All authors are writers but not all writers are authors.