Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 5 months ago

When is it time to say goodbye to my first car?

I have lots of memories in the car and sad to let it go but I think it might be time. The car has got me thru high school and college without a single breakdown. However, it is starting to rust really bad to the point where there is almost no rocker panel on the drivers side and some of it is missing in the back. There is a gaping hole in the trunk that I just covered with some gorilla tape. The floor pan on the drivers side was pretty much gone a few years ago but was patched with some sheet metal but it already loose and rusting. Do you think it might be time to get something newer and safer?

Never. Are you going to trade your wive of many years for a big-boobed cheerleader too?

• Bill

I’d let it go. If you’re not sure, take it to a body shop and see what it will cost to make it safe to drive. 

Up to you .I will miss my '80 Chevy, first car I've had in ten years. So, she feels like the first.

But  she has a big  rust hole I need to weld up, dents, etc. Never got decent mileage and has trouble on hills.   No AC and can't get it anymore. When I am thru, she will be safe and reliable but Not pretty. Asking $600. I can't expect to get paid for sentimental value.

• Barry

In the UK the car you describe would fail our MOT (safety test). Rocker panels are structural items. I am surprised your car doesn't fold up on you when driving. So the time to scrap your car was way back.