Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 month ago

What makes taste buds change?

I used to love eggs, but now they taste terrible to me. It annoys me because, like I said, I used to love eggs and ate them a lot. What made my taste buds change?

• bill

As you get older  i believe that you acquire a higher taste for stronger flavours like old cheese,peppers, pickled items etc.At least i have.

I often wonder this myself. I read that babies and small children will refuse foods they haven't tried before as this is an instinctual animal holdover from when the body would reject new food as being possibly dangerous. That is why as we get older we are more accepting of new foods as we lose that instinct for preservation, but honestly, the only thing that I can think of, and this is strictly my situation, is I got stomach flu soon after eating a meal of eggs and toast, and it was literally years before I could look at an egg and think about eating it. I also know that eldery people lose the ability to want larger meals, and meals that may be savoury or spicy as their digestive system cannot cope with it, but just to get tired and say 'no' to a food is a mystery. 

• Taste buds naturally change as you age. They have a life cycle like skin cells. They grow, die, and fade into existence. Burning your tongue on hot food can also kill taste buds present at the time. It’s not like you’ll be completely flavor deaf, but it can affect how you perceive food for a while

• 🦋

Ad you age it changes

• kswck2

Taste buds change with age, sometimes they get more refined. I used to Love green peppers, now i pick them out of food. I used to Hate kidney beans, now I love a big bowl of chili.