Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Anyone else never buy fruits and vegetables because of the absurd prices ?

$20 so far and I don’t even have any meat on the list. This is crazy look at these prices. And I live in Alabama it’s super cheap to live here 

Yeah it is crazy. I live in Buttcrack, Canada and groceries in general are crazy, but fruits and veggies are rediculous. I will buy fresh veggies over fresh fruits and take the hit, as I generally don't eat that much meat, but I generally will only buy fruit that is in season, and other than that, frozen or canned. 

No,they're an important component of a balanced diet.

no. I always buy veg and fruits..price doesn't matter.

I can get a head of lettuce for $1.50. The problem being I'll eat 6 of them in a day it that's all I had. For $9 I can get 5 pounds of pork and eat for a week.

No. I just buy what's more reasonably priced. In season stuff is generally cheaper than out of season 

• kswck2

I assume this is from online shopping, where prices would naturally be more expensive. But why buy fresh veggies and then bagged salad? A Head of lettuce is at most $2. 

The blackberries would stay right on the shelf, for that price. And things like onions and peppers should be sold by Weight-not Each. ( I know Trader Joe's sell onions per onion-that's why i refuse to shop there).  

I tried to shop as close to yours as I could, no blackberries (they grow everywhere here in Scotland, so seldom would we pay for them, so i used raspberries instead)  peaches and onions I could only buy in multiples... £8.28 is $10.84. Considering we have free healthcare, university etc, it seems you really are paying a lot.