Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 month ago

How fast are you supposed to drive when a flagger flags 'slow' in a construction zone?

It was two lanes and one flagger waved me in to go slow through and I went as high as 30km/hr and some female worker starts yelling at me... What did I do? Was it because of my turbo engine making her think I was going fast? I was only doing 30 km/hr!!!!!

I feel like calling their boss as they weren't 6 ft apart and weren't wearing any masks...

I literally just tapped the gas!!! I was doing next to nothing!!! 18mph!!! It might have just sounded like I was going fast but I wasn't!!! I still feel like complaining to their boss as they weren't wearing any masks... I just want to know the laws regarding the speed first!

the zone was 30 ft long...

• Dan B

In the absence of any construction related speed limit signs, 25 mph in most states.  Check state laws.  Fines double for speeding in work zones.  Can be very, very expensive.

You're supposed to keep it under 20 km/h in a flagged 'slow' zone.  But seriously, don't worry so much about it.  Road construction workers sometimes like to remind people that they're really important.

You know how many highway workers are killed each year?   124 last year in the USA,   135 the year before.    Figure the slower the better.    The closer you go to the workers,  the slower you should go.  

It depends on the condition of the hazard. You tell us what happened as you drove through. Was there loose soil, rocks, deep potholes, workers standing close or moving equipment in the way? Just learn to follow directions. I assume nothing happened. The flagger had thoughts about what she assumed you were about to do and didn't like it.

20 km/h, about the same as a parking lot.

OSHA does not recommend masks for outside work. Their boss won't care, Karen.  Federal trumps local.  

• Edna

When a flagger in a highway construction site flags "slow", they mean SLOW. 30 mph isn't "slow" in a construction site. You're not even supposed to drive 30 mph on a residential street, much less in a construction site.

The flagger in the construction site had a pretty good idea of how fast you were travelling, and it wasn't based on the sound of your engine. The woman who flagged you does this for hours every day, and she can estimate how fast you're travelling just by looking at your car as it goes past her.

You never travel any faster than the other motorists in the construction site are traveling. If that's only 15 mph for the next mile, that's as fast as you're supposed to travel. THAT'S the law that you're so concerned about.

"I still feel like complaining to their boss as they weren't 6 feet apart and they wearing any masks". My, my! -- aren't you conscientious? The workers In a highway construction site are outside under the hot sun in the open air all day - they're aren't required to wear masks while they're working. Mind your own business; and, when a flagger signals you to slow down, do it! 

Walking speed or 5mph.   She was right to yell at you.

i would go slow so you dont hit anyone

• Brian

You are to Floor it.

There's really no law that says you have to go X speed.  18 mph though would be considered fast, if you are going through a slow zone.  Most times, I have found that a good standard of moving through a slow zone is around 10 MPH.  If you tapped the gas and went from 0 to 18 mph, for a slow zone, that can be considered fast.

Generally whenever I go through a slow zone, I'll let off the gas, and start with just idle, then I'll do at max, maybe 10 MPH.  That's really how slow they want you to go.

It's only for everyone's safety.  If you have to go through the same zone again, just go a bit slower and see what happens.