Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 5 months ago

Where can I buy nice cars priced $1500 or less?

Never on a car lot.  Always a private sale. Nice means no broken windshield or torn up upholstery.  Engine is also not burning the blues and bodywork is in decent shape...no major damage and rust.  It won't be perfect. because it costs so little.  If you want perfect then you pay the big bucks.

. I was offered a pickup truck FOR FREE.  No dings, nothing wrong with it.  It was set up for dual fuel meaning it had a propane tank in the bed.  I should have jumped on it but "for free"? had me a bit hesitant.  I mean, I could have undone the dual fuel system and had a gas pick up truck but was LAZY about it.  I did not have a place to park it(it was inconvenient or whatever excuse I gave myself not to drive it away. I only lived 15 miles away.  Which means I would have to get back to get my car. by bike. I found excuses. Maybe it was male PMS?

Lok around on Craigs' List. The only decent ones are owned by retired people who had to stop driving due to medical conditions.

I saw an '06 Mazda 6 for $600.  60 K miles. Still kicking myself for not jumping on it. Only needed new radiator, Not hard to do. Started Right up, cold, and I trust Mazdas.

I will sell my old Chevy for about $660, It will run fine and be safe but still have a lotta dings. I only will let it go so cheap as I cant expect to get the $ back I spent on it the last 8 years.  She is Only an old Chevy, no collectible.

There are No "absolutes". but you have to do a lot of digging and take  a learned friend With you. Also ask friends, occasionally they have a grandparent selling because they cant  or don't drive anymore.

I was offered a Honda van, free (tweaked body), an '86 Dodge pickup, free  (had a computerized carb that's Unobtainium) and a hybid,  free  ( dead dead battery pack).

• F

Anything at that price is a gamble. There is going to be somethings not working. Hopefully it’s things you can live without like a/c or electric windows rather than engine parts.

You might get a year out of it relatively untroubled , you might get a week.

I suggest you save more money and get a $3-5k car. Because for $1500 it's hard to get a good car unless it needs a lot of work, rusted out, or very high mileage and worn suspension. 

There are no nice $1500 priced cars.  They will all require fixing.

From old people who have given up driving or have recently lost a spouse and don't want to keep the person's  car; also younger people trying to get rid of deceased  parent's car.  Many have low mileage. 

• Robert

In 1976                                              .