anyone here work in the aviation field? ?

I am in school for avionics and we have to do all these bs logbook entries, look up STCs, TSOs, and other bullcrap. I always thought that that **** was the responsibility of someone in a higher position other than an entry level avionics tech. 

Is that one of those things that we learn but do not practice as much when in the field, or do we really have to do this crap? I freaking hate looking up all this information. 

• Sammy

Don't do your research here! (A&P for 35 yrs).

Find other work then.

Sorry. I was in an A & P class  and was turned off by the paper work and all the computer time, also. I got used to it... Necessary evil. The only reason PW and the FARs exist is someone died  until a new regulation was made.

I will reenroll, I didn't make it to avionics but it should be easy for me as I have 2 AS's in Electronics and 40 years experience.

Planes have crashed and killed many because someone failed to do paperwork. Once there was no note on a work order that the maintenance of something was not finished at change of shift.  Others assumed that it was.  They sent people out to their untimely deaths.

Every simple repair, every notice from a maker, each error report in training or regular operation must be looked at by multiple people.  Problems are shown in paperwork.  People cannot read minds.  They do not have x-ray vision.  Planes cannot speak up about their problems (yet).  Only the paperwork can show what needs to be done.

Reported for posting in the Peking Boulevard category.  

• rick

I was in the aviation industry from the  1950s, to 1997. I worked general aviation, built and flew homebuilts, I operated a service for itinerant large aircraft,  and spent 40 years in the airline industry. I have a PPL  A&P and First Class FCC. I've worked line, shops, supervision and management. Learn to use the manuals. Always refer to them especially when you don't think you need to. Legal log book sign-offs require a manual reference. You never know if there was a revision last night while you were sleeping or not. CHECK! You can screw up the work any way you want, but don't screw up that paperwork! The paperwork and records are much more important than if the airplane will fly or not.  As an example, I borrowed the captain's pen to do a sign-off. The same one he used to make the write-up. I was fined $75 for not using a "dark enough blue" pen. If you don't like books, rules, instructions, and researching information, don't go into aircraft maintenance.

No, you just wing it in the field.  No need to log or lookup anything, if something breaks, the plane will just coast to a stop, everyone will get out, have ice cream and your mistake that caused it will be awarded with a happy star sticker for your toolbox.

You can drop out doofus and see where that takes you. 

And "If you think school is bad, try working for a boss"  -  Bill Gates.