Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is my friend being condescending by giving me advise on how to behave? ?

My friend lives overseas and I told him I would visit his elderly mother for tea tomorrow. She is 77 and lives alone. 

He just send this message - is it insulting/condescending? 

"This might seem weird (and hope you don't mind me saying) but my Mother is really into the tea experience and the supposed etiquette that goes with it. If she takes out the china for you tomorrow, best not to separate the cup from the saucer. That drives her nuts!"

Does he have the right to send me 'advise' like this? Why would he do that?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

So we're back at the teacups, are we?

Seriously, can't you find something else a little more interesting to obsess about?

• Jerry
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only a fool takes offense where no offense is intended. Your friend's is obviously to be helpful, not insulting. He is telling you this because he assumes that you wish the tea to go well and will therefore welcome the knowledge that a particular behavior "drives her nuts" so as to avoid that behavior. 

If you think the implication that you could benefit from further knowledge is insulting then you're one of those horrid "know it all" people. Ew. 

• 1 month ago

No, it's not rude at all. It might be true! She might really be into tea etiquette. And it's "advice."

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

hes just trying to make it easier for you so you dont argue with her

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No. Just giving you a heads-up.

• marty
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Can't come up with another question?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.