Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 1 month ago

Are some people born good at drawing or do they just practice a lot ?

I'm talking about people who do portraits and stuff like that..how could I get good at that type of stuff?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Evi
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes you can be born with a natural talent, but with anything that talent needs to be practiced and honed. If you don't have a natural talent do not dispair you can still practice your talent and you will get better at it, but you may have to practice more than say a person who has it naturally. 

Source(s): Most of what I draw is portrait art. I used to draw a lot of rock stars.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The factor "talent" exists and is quite important for someone to master something, but it is not as important as training and motivation. Even if you are talented, if you don't train and you have no attitude, you can't improve.

Actually, EVERYONE CAN DRAW. What happens is:

- People get more exigent with the world and with themselves as they grow up and through generations. So, many adults think they can't draw, but they CAN draw, maybe they just need to trust more in themselves and go back to where they were children (https://www.ted.com/talks/graham_shaw_why_people_b...

- In this world where quick communication is vital, what people often do is symbolizing things, not "drawing" them. Technically talking that IS drawing, but in a way more simplified way. The people with the ability to efficiently communicate through visuals have a much more practical way of seeing the world (after all, that's visual arts about: perspective). It's normal that they don't dig deep into details and just limit themselves to draw a house as a colored triangle on a square. That, however, doesn't mean they really "can't draw". They are just used to make things simple.

What not everyone can do is painting like Da Vinci. Why? Knowledge and practice. You need to fully understand the technique to do such masterpieces. That doesn't mean it's impossible: you just need A LOT of time and dedication.

In conclusion: want to become better at drawing? Is that what you really want? Then go for it! Of course, it will probably take a long time to see the results, but if you consider it's worth it, then do it. Take some classes, look for tutorials, and you will start to learn!

PD: note this doesn't mean you HAVE TO improve. Perhaps you just draw because it is pleasant for you, and that's more than okay. Just make sure to enjoy what you do ;)

• 1 month ago

Practice. Although it might not give you perfect results, you'll improve dramatically. Don't wait until the *perfect moment* to begin to practice/draw, just start it now! Overtime, you'll see the difference. 

• 1 month ago

Everyone develops their artistic skills in different ways in life. Some people were brought up to do more artistic things and might get a head start when they pick up the pencil, while others don't. But at the end of the day you won't improve at all if you don't practice, the head start will only get you so far. The good thing is that there's so much free content out on the internet for beginners. I recommend looking up Proko on youtube if you're interested in anatomy or fine art.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Funny thing is, you will never hear quotes from Picasso or Dali or Renoir or Gauguin or Michelangelo or Raphael or Chagall or Rodin saying that there is no such thing as talent. Seems to be an academic thing designed to churn tuition, I guess. Funny how that works.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I believe there are people who have a latent natural talent. A grade school friend of mine was remarkable - a better artist in Grade Four than anyone in Grade Eight.  But talent is useless unless you develop it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There is no evolutionary benefit to being able to draw well. Some people will have better hand-eye coordination but that is only one aspect of being able to draw.

Otherwise it is not a natural talent, it is a learned behaviour, and like any learned behaviour the more learning you do the better/easier it becomes. And like any learned behaviour, the better the teacher the more the student gets from it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don’t think people could be born with such a thing. Everyone starts as a normal baby, but could have an early interest in the Arts. Thus, they can practice and practice for a long time. So really, if you want to draw portraits, then maybe learn anatomy if you want to draw people.

• 1 month ago

You can't. Hope this helped.                                         

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.