Times
Lv 5
Times asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is it okay for a parent to consider their child to be their best friend?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Not until they're both adults. Then it can be a pleasure.

Blurring the roles between friend an authority figure when the child is still a child can cause problems. It's more important to be a parent than to be a friend.

In my experience, often the parent who wants to be their child's best friend has two problems. One, they don't have enough close friendships of their own, and two, they're keeping their child from creating friendships with peers. Later on, that child may have trouble separating when they're an adult, which is never good for either of you.

• 1 month ago

There's nothing wrong with being a child's friend, as long as you're still being a parent too. 

• 2 months ago

My mom is my best friend. Why is that a bad thing?

• edward
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure but they should also understand that there is a time to be a parent and not the friend

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, it's not okay, because it means that the parent has quit being a parent. Parents have a tough job, but they need to keep their heads in the game and not lose sight of the fact that kids need them to be PARENTS FIRST, and best friends second.

• God
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Once the child is an adult and needs no more parenting being best friends is fine.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You gave zero context and we are not clairvoyant.

What age is the "child"?

IMO it's completely inappropriate for an adult parent to consider a minor child their best friend.

When they are 40 and 60...totally different ball of wax. 

• LizB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Once the child is an adult, sure. While the child is still a child, the bond can be very close, but mature friendships entail a level of contextual understanding and emotional intimacy/support that children just aren't ready for. Venting to your 12 year old about your marriage or financial woes, for example, is an entirely inappropriate outlet. They don't have the maturity or objectivity to offer real support, and should not have that kind of emotional burden dumped on them.

• 2 months ago

Is the child still a minor or an adult?

Yes, that makes a difference

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

🥴 Of course. 

But I wouldn't recommend it. 

Kids will come out crooked if not disciplined and lead their parents to an early death.

Disciplining their behaviors makes your life easier.

You don't have to hit them. 

But you do need a stern and fair backbone to you. For your sake.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.