Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

How long until cats will evolve into omnivores?

I've been feeding my cats rice mixed with meat or fish for the past few years, I was wondering whether this will trigger an evolutionary stage in their dietary requirement. Are they going to evolve into omnivores like dogs?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Don't hold your breath. It's not going to happen in your life time (LOL). Meat & rice is a cat food formula. You can get that at any store.

• 1 month ago

Never.  Cats are carnivores and will ALWAYS be carnivores.

Since you cowardly posted this as Anonymous I'm sure you don't even own a cat.  If you're really feeding meat or fish and it's 1) not raw and you're 2) not including organ meats and bone or bone meal then your cats would be blind and/or dead by now. 

• jean
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

too much meat can be bad for cats kidneys

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

NOPE.  Rice does nothing for a cat's diet and it won't evolve into something its body can use.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Never. Cats will always be dedicated carnivores, they can't digest non-meat food. Like how guinea pigs are 100% herbivores and can only eat fruit/vegetables.

You should know not feed your cat non-meat food, it isn't that hard. You can be vegetarian yourself for all of eternity, but forcing a carnivorous animal to follow the same diet as you is beyond ridiculous.

• 1 month ago

Never.   

Youll slowly kill your can instead.

Dogs arent omnivores either.   They are opportunistic carnivores..  They hunt AND scavange..  Which is why dogs were able to adapt to eating human scraps.

Cats are obligate carnivores

• 1 month ago

Evolution takes a long time and you cant change an existing cat into an omnivore. 

Dogs are not omnivores. They are opportunistic carnivores instead of obligate carnivores but still carnivores. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Never, it will just never happen.

• PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If a cat changes, it won't be due to your own intervention. Evolutionary changes have to do with overall needs and what is available over a very long period of time. Of course, weaker animals will perish in any circumstance like this and it takes a VERY LONG time for these sort of changes. In our world, there are herbivores, omnivores and carnivores. My question would be: How long will it take until a rabbit changes to a carnivore? The questions (yours and mine) are purely conjecture and based on what we think ought to be, rather than how things actually work. If you base what a cat eats on your own diet, you are forcing an opinion-based solution to a biological need.

BUT: Our cats have been known to eat: avocados, baked beans, tomatoes (no salt), lettuce, water melon, green beans, various plants including Dracaena, noodles, snack crackers, potato chips, and more. Why? Maybe because they think they are humans!

Their primary diet, however, is the meat-based foods cats normally eat, which provides nutrition for healthy muscle, brain, bones, etc. Depriving a cat of necessary nutrients will eventually cause issues for the cat.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

All herbivorous mammals evolved from shrews, which survived the mass extinction 65 million years ago that wiped out the dinosaurs. Shrews are insectivores, or carnivores, since insects are high in protein, higher in fact than red meat. The reason herbivores evolve is because as an animal gets bigger, it has e a more difficult time catching prey. Imagine a horse sized animal trying to catch insects for food. They have trouble even catching rodent-sized prey. Hunger therefore forces some carnivores to start eating plants to supplement their diet. Bears are carnivores but they are so big that they eat more plants than animals. Cats are perfectly sized to catch rodents. Being large has its advantages because small predators like cats would not be able to bring down a horse. Therefore, a herbivore can grow big and avoid being eaten and not have to worry about catching prey. Plants are plentiful, even if they are not very nutritious. In the wild, African wildcats (the ancestor of domestic cats) have not and almost certainly will not evolve to be herbivores or omnivores. They can catch enough birds, mice and insects to stay alive. Cats are such superb predators that they can grow as large as a tiger or a lion and they can still catch enough prey to avoid eating plants. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.