Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 month ago

Upload system image to new ssd or install fresh Windows 10?

I'm worried a fresh install of Windows 10 will be missing drivers for my laptop. I made a "system image usb" when the PC was brand new. Will installing this usb system image onto a new ssd include all the drivers and Windows 10, or will I be better off installing a Windows 10 fresh and try to seek out any missing drivers online?

When I installed a fresh version of Windows 10 in an earlier laptop, I lost the display drivers (and could not adjust brightness, etc.). I did find the drivers online for that, but would it have been necessary to download individual drivers had I used a system image instead? Would Windows 10 and those drivers have been included with the created system image?

yes, the system image should include the drivers and o/s

• David

Windows 10 is pretty good at picking up the drivers from its database so I would always go with a fresh install, unless your system image is up to date, say a  month old, otherwise you will spend time downloading windows updates. Additionally a fresh install will give you a chance to install the latest Windows 10 version 2004

However a system image should include the drivers (and windows 10 if this was the state of the computer when you made the image).

• Lv 7

your computer or motherboard manufacturer's website will have all your drivers available free online.

or you can just google the model number with the word "drivers", and the first match will be it.

fresh install is ALWAYS best.

The fresh install will include drivers that 'work', but possibly not the best for your PC. However, after the install, you could download a utility that scans and updates drivers appropriately. Alternately, you could reinstall the system image first and then do the windows 10 install as that should keep your existing drivers, but I would still advise updating all after the new win10 install.

I didn't lose any drivers when I installed Windows 10 on my laptop.

I don't know the uses of a "system image usb" but I would consider it unnecessary as any driver you could think of would it be available for download somewhere on the internet.